Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie
Viale dell’Università, 10 – 35020 – Legnaro (PD) ITALY
The Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie (IZSVe) is a public veterinary institute which conducts prevention, control and research activities in three main areas: animal health and welfare, food safety and environmental protection. It is part of a national network that consists of nine other public veterinary institutes, each of which covers a specific national geographical area.
In particular, the IZSVe is involved in:
- Diagnoses and research on infectious livestock diseases and zoonoses
- Quality control of foods of animal origin for human consumption
- Control of animal feed
- Epidemiological surveillance and monitoring
- Planning of animal health programs
- Training of veterinary service personnel
- Production of biopharmaceuticals
The IZSVe provides technical-scientific support to international, national and local programs of monitoring, treatment and eradication of animal diseases, as well as to emergency, livestock and biosafety management programs. With regard to food products of animal origin, the activities of the IZSVe focus on the prevention of food-related risks and increasing the level of safety and quality of foodstuffs for human and animal consumption.
Internationally, the IZSVe has been appointed as:
- OIE reference laboratory for avian influenza and Newcastle disease
- OIE reference laboratory for viral encephalopathy and retinopathy of marine fish
- OIE reference laboratory for salmonella
- OIE collaborating centre for epidemiology, training and control of emerging avian diseases
- OIE collaborating centre for diseases at the animal/human interface
- FAO reference centre for animal influenza and Newcastle disease
- FAO reference centre for rabies.
These Centers of excellence are responsible for facing scientific and technical problems associated with the diseases included in the OIE lists, for carrying out research and for work towards the standardization of diagnostic techniques.
IZSVe makes available its expertise for international cooperation projects and training activities in order to contribute to the prevention of transboundary animal diseases and for securing consumers’ health.